What is COVID-19?
What is Corona Virus and COVID-19?
A virus is something that can make people sick.
One type of Corona Virus that can make people to sick is called COVID-19.
COVID-19 can pass from person to person.
People with COVID-19 may:
- Have a cough.
- Have a fever – this is when you get really hot.
- Find it hard to breathe.
It is important to know that people who get a cold or flu may also have these things.
Some people with COVID-19 may not get sick. But they can still pass the virus to another person.
It can take up to 14 days from the time a person has been around someone with COVID-19 to when they get sick.
When a person has COVID-19 they can spread droplets onto things or people around them when they:
- Touch other people like shaking hands.
- Touch surfaces or objects that someone else then touches.
Droplets are very small bits of liquid that come out of a person’s nose or mouth.
The droplets could have the COVID-19 virus in them.
Surfaces and objects are things like:
- Kitchen benches.
- Door handles.
There are some important things that everyone can do to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Stay away from people who are unwell with a cold or flu.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Throw away any tissues that you use.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow if you have no tissues.
Make sure you wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds:
- After coughing or sneezing.
- After blowing your nose.
- Before eating or touching food.
- After using the toilet.
- After helping children wipe their noses.
- After caring for sick people.
If there is no water or soap you can use hand sanitiser.
Another important thing you can do is try not to touch your:
It is also a good idea to clean surfaces and objects that you use a lot.
If you have any questions about COVID-19 you can call Healthline on:
0800 358 5453
It will not cost you any money to call Healthline. Healthline is open all the time – day and night.